In 2005, RIPS recognized eight projects, completed during 2004 or earlier, with five Awards and three Certificates of Recognition.
House at 804 20th Street, Honorees: Bob and Macrina Feller Macrina and Bob Feller purchased their house in the Broadway Historic District in 2002 and immediately began the extensive exterior renovation that is recognized in this award. They first removed many trees which had grown from the foundation. The ornate entrance with its paired front doors was uncovered both inside and out and refinished. Missing exterior features were recreated, including two porches complete with ornate “hoods” surmounted by decorative iron railings. The Fellers credit their Broadway neighbor Mark Holmes, owner of the historic Mitchell House, for his major assistance in the porch projects. Finally the exterior walls, which had been white for years, were painted in natural brick tones with limestone-colored trim. New gutters were also installed.
House at 716 15th Street, Honoree: Rock Island Economic Growth Corporation and their Youthbuild Subsidiary This new home at 716 15th Street is exceptionally sensitive infill within a historic neighborhood. Surrounded by other 1 ½ and 2 story homes, it looks as if it has always been there. Its prize-winning design, by architect Ben Allers, won the 1995 competition sponsored by the Rock Island Preservation Commission for infill design in the Old Chicago neighborhood. Minimal revisions, including the addition of a basement, were incorporated into that design for this home in the Longview neighborhood. Exterior features that ensure compatibility with its historic neighbors are the traditional massing, with a steeply pitched roof and large windows, a wraparound front porch and the historic combination of horizontal clapboard with “fish scale” trim. Although the clapboard is vinyl, because this is new construction it is acceptable. There is extensive wood trim elsewhere on the exterior. As a result, the three bedroom, two bath home, fits seamlessly into its turn-of-the-last-century neighborhood. A historic color scheme emphasizing architectural details, and landscaping with old- fashioned roses, lilacs, and hydrangeas, complete the visual impact of this new house.
Broadway Presbyterian Church, 710 23rd Street, Elevator & Staircase Addition Broadway Presbyterian Church is recognized for the sensitive design of an elevator addition, which was completed in 1998. The church has served our community from the same location on the corner of 7th Avenue and 23rd Street since 1875. Located at the rear of the historic church building, it was designed by architects at Shive-Hattery of Moline and constructed by Priester Construction of Davenport. It is made of Anamosa limestone from Stone City, Iowa, similar to the Joliet limestone of the older structure. And like the old, the varying rectangular sizes of stone are laid in a pattern called “random ashlar”. The “random” simply means that there are no long continuous vertical or horizontal mortar lines or “runs.” Modified Gothic arches on the addition windows evoke the older windows as well. This addition ensures that Broadway Presbyterian can continue its practice of opening its facilities to many community groups as well as its congregation with easy access for every individual.
Double House at 1019-21 21st Street, Honoree: Michael Seward Although the double house style is not uncommon in Rock Island’s older neighborhoods, the one at 1019-1021 21st Street is distinctive because there is a tower on one side. It is also distinctive because of its recent restoration by the owner and resident, Michael Seward. Over the past several years, he has laboriously removed inappropriate shingle-type siding, section by section. Then the original siding, which features an unusual curved edge, was repaired and replaced when necessary. Plywood porch floors were replaced with appropriate decking and porch balustrades and steps were rebuilt. A new roof and an appropriate paint scheme completed this award-winning project.
Centennial Bridge – moving west entrance column and fountain, Honoree: City of Rock Island and the former Centennial Bridge Commission When arrangements were being made to turn Rock Island’s historic Centennial Bridge over to the State of Illinois to make it toll-free, access changes were mandated. But the historic 25-foot tall west entrance column and adjacent fountain were in the path of a needed exit. These features were an important historic and aesthetic component of the bridge. The Bridge Commission’s contractors, General Contractors, Inc., knew what to do – move the column and fountain about 15 feet further west. To do that, they called Roy Brown Masonry Construction of Lynn Center, which had moved the east column some forty years ago. That firm dismantled the Indiana limestone column and fountain piece by piece, numbering each stone. They were rebuilt after the exit work was completed. At the same time, non-historic lights were removed from the top of both columns. This award recognizes saving these historic bridge features.
CERTIFICATE of RECOGNITION
Commercial building 313 20th Street, Honoree: Augies, Inc., Rick Goulet Rick Goulet, the owner of Augie’s, has undertaken a project to renew and restore the interior of his vintage building. This certificate recognizes the restoration of the exceptionally ornate tin ceiling in the main bar area.
House at 743 22nd Street, Honoree: Kris & Chrissy Rowand Owners Chris & Chrissy Rowand are recognized for removing recent walls to expose their originally open front porch. Their exterior work also included the removal of a huge and intrusive outside stairway to the second floor. Finally, a multicolor paint scheme enhanced the “new” appearance of their vintage home.
House at 1929 9th Avenue, Honoree: Deb Kuntzi & Paul Magnuson When Deb Kuntzi and Paul Magnuson purchased this picturesque stucco home adjacent to their own historic residence, they undertook an extensive interior and exterior renovation. This certificate recognizes their exterior work, which required rebuilding and repair of most of the exposed woodwork. The front porch and steps, including balusters, were reconstructed, windows were repaired and wooden storm windows were added. A new roof and a multicolor exterior paint scheme completed the work, which was guided by contractor Bill Rowand of Renaissance Construction